When a loved one passes away it's a difficult time. Here’s a guide to what to do if you need to end a tenancy for someone who’s died. We’re here to help, just contact us if you’ve got any questions.

How to end the tenancy

Once you have the documents you need, you can complete our tenancy termination form.

To end the tenancy you must provide a copy of the death certificate.

Citizen's Advice Bureau provide independent guidance on dealing with wills and executors.

We’ll still charge rent (and any arrears) to the estate of the person who’s passed away until the keys are handed back in and we’ve been to see the property.

Clear the property

The home should be cleared within four weeks of reporting the death.

Everything should go, including clearing outbuildings or sheds. All floor coverings and furnishings must also be removed. Always use a qualified or registered tradesman to remove appliances and don’t leave any open gas pipes or live wires.

Tell the government

This page has lots of useful information about what to do when someone dies: www.gov.uk/after-a-death

Tell the local council

You’ll need to let the local council know for Council Tax, electoral register and other housing benefits.

Housing benefit entitlement stops on the death of the person who passed away.

If you don't know the local council for your area you can check with a postcode.

Who else needs to know?

Don’t forget to let utility, telephone and banks know too.

We won’t know who the gas or electricity suppliers are but here’s a checklist to help: 

  • Gas/Electricity

  • Telephone and internet companies

  • Banks and other financial organisations (bank or mortgage, pension or insurance providers)