Home contents Insurance

The importance of home contents insurance

It’s designed to cover the cost of financial losses caused by theft, fire, flood or water damage from a burst pipe.

We insure the buildings but we don't insure your contents and personal belongings. That’s why it’s really important that all of our customers have home contents insurance.

There are lots of insurance providers out there - search 'contents insurance', or use a price comparison website. You can choose what's important to you - it might be your phone, TV, furniture or jewellery?

What could home contents insurance cover?

• Fire damage
• Theft
• Storm and flood damage
• Damage caused by water or oil leaks
• Lost or stolen keys
• The contents of your freezer if it broke down
• Accidental damage to TV’s and home entertainment equipment
• Damage caused by a leaking washing machine or a burst pipe
• The contents of sheds and garages
• Students possessions living away from home
• Accidental damage to sanitary fixtures such as toilets and washbasins
• Extended accidental damage cover
• Personal possessions away from the home
• Mobility scooters/wheelchairs
• Hearing aids

Limits and exclusions usually apply. It can depend on the policy, the insurance provider and the type of cover you choose. The above are examples of what would normally be covered, but some of these may be optional extras.

When you're getting a quote you can check what you're covered for, or check your existing policy if you have one.

Further information on home contents insurance

Citizens Advice: Home contents insurance

MoneyHelper: What is contents insurance?